Monday, April 29, 2024

One of the best things fall semester is the air of newness and reinvention that comes with it. Like a New Year's resolution, students find inspiration in the fall. 

Of course, for many of us, the difficulty lies not in setting goals, but in finding the motivation to maintain them. Bummer.

Fortunately for all of you, college life and junk food are not necessarily joined at the hip. In fact, it's actually quite easy to say "no" to garbage thanks to the plenty of healthy food options.

But let's say you're looking to step it up a few notches. This fall, you've decided to take the plunge. You've decided to go ... vegan.

First of all, congratulations on coming to this decision. Eating a vegan diet- selecting foods that contain absolutely no animal byproducts - is not only great for your mind and body, but is also an ethically sound decision.

Nearly all Gainesville area restaurants offer some sort of vegan dish on their menus. Here are three quick places to check out near campus. Indulge.

Boca Fiesta

232 SE First Street

Boasting a bitchin' menu of tacos and shareables, Boca Fiesta is also reasonably priced for all of us poor, broke saps. Its fresh squeezed, agave-sweetened cocktails are delicious and can be ordered "virgin" for the under-21 crowd. (It's okay, you'll be of age soon enough.) And even carnivores will enjoy the vegan queso dip.

Leonardo's By the Slice

1245 W. University Avenue

What's up, artichoke hearts? The vegan slice at Leonardo's is the perfect midday meal that will hold you over between classes. A delectable medley of Mediterranean wholesomeness, the aromas alone will convince you to seek out a semester abroad. Tip: Order the slice cold, and eat it with a fork. It tastes better and will shave many minutes off your wait time.

Karma Cream

1025 W. University Avenue

End the rumors that insist veganism means lame desserts. Karma Cream is proof that they're totally false. Three words: vegan ice cream. Okay, three more words: vegan baked goods. Grab a cookie and coffee with soymilk before cracking the books. It will up the ante on time well spent.