County fair returns after missed year

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;"><a name="__DdeLink__85_2036580917"></a>A young boy rides the carousel at the Alachua County Fair in 2006. The fair, which was canceled in 2010 for the first time in 40 years due to financial problems, has paid its debts and will open its gates once more in October.</p>

A young boy rides the carousel at the Alachua County Fair in 2006. The fair, which was canceled in 2010 for the first time in 40 years due to financial problems, has paid its debts and will open its gates once more in October.

After a year's hiatus, the fair is back in town.

The Alachua County Fair, canceled in 2010 for the first time in 40 years due to financial problems, has paid its debts and will open its gates once more in October.

"There's been a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff going on since April," said Steve White, the owner of Event Marketing Corp., the marketing firm hired to manage the fair. "But there will be a fair this year."

In April 2009, the Alachua County Fair Association was denied its proposal to renew its lease of the county-owned fairgrounds at Northeast 39th Avenue and Waldo Road.

The nonprofit fair association owed money to outside vendors and cattle exhibitors.

The association also failed to submit a required application to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

But this year, the fair has provided the county proof of payment for the majority of its debts, said Robert Avery, county parks/open spaces superintendent.

Avery said he received copies of checks and confirmation letters to verify that all the vendors had been paid in full.

Now the only thing standing in the fair's way is a meeting with the Alachua County Sheriff's Office and the fire marshal to approve the security plan.

"They just have to dot a few I's and cross some T's," Avery said.

White said fair-goers should expect a different experience this year as the fair has new rides, new shows and new prices - tickets are now $5 for admission for ages 13 and up and $15 for unlimited carnival rides. Children under the age of 12 have free admission.

There will be more than six shows a day and 120 exhibition booths, according to the fair's website, www.alachuacountyfair.com.

For a limited time, Facebook users who "like" the fair's Facebook page will get a free general admission ticket, White said.

The fair opens Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. and is planned to run through Oct. 29.