Festival to bring in renowned authors

The annual Florida Writer's Festival has returned for the 62nd consecutive year.

The five award-winning authors attending this year's festival will read works of poetry and fiction from Oct. 20 to Oct. 22.

These authors include a former member of the indie-rock band Silver Jew, a journalist whose stories have appeared in numerous magazines such as GQ and Vanity Fair, and professors from universities across the U.S.

"It's a top-notch collection of contemporary writers," said Travis Fristoe, a UF graduate student and programming liaison for the Alachua County Library District. "If I didn't live in Gainesville, I would travel to see it."

The first of these readings will take place at the Alachua County Library District Headquarters on Oct. 20 with David Berman, author of "Actual Air," and will continue from Oct. 21 to Oct. 22 at Ustler Hall Atrium.

"I am curious about Berman because he so rarely gives public readings," Fristoe said.

On Oct. 21, four of the authors, Amy Hempel, D.A. Powell, Kevin Young and Laura Kasischke, will have a 30-minute craft talk about the writing process.

The UF Master of Fine Arts program for Creative Writing and the Alachua County Library District Headquarters will be hosting the event.

This is the second year the event will be run solely by students.

"This event is really great not just to hear readings," said David Fishman, an organizer of the festival. "There is an educational aspect that will be beneficial for graduate students and for anyone at the university interested in the writing process."