Gas prices drop across state

<p>Gas prices across Florida have dropped 7 cents per gallon over the last week. The tax on gas in Alachua is 37 cents on the dollar.</p>

Gas prices across Florida have dropped 7 cents per gallon over the last week. The tax on gas in Alachua is 37 cents on the dollar.

It costs Ariel Cohen, a 19-year-old nursing sophomore, $45 to fill up her 2002 Mazda Protege5.

She usually fills up her car every 2 1/2 weeks, depending on how often she drives and whether she goes to Tampa to visit her boyfriend, Kyle.

The recent drop in gas prices has left her feeling happier and her wallet feeling a bit heavier.

"The less money I have to spend on gas, the better," Cohen said.

Cohen's not the only person happy with the price at the pump.

In the past week, gas prices have fallen 7 cents across Florida, and the cheaper prices are allowing people to save and spend money elsewhere.

The average price for a gallon of regular unleaded gas in Florida is $3.47, according to ongoing price analysis by AAA. That's 7 cents cheaper than last week and 21 cents cheaper than a year ago.

Gas prices have dropped because of increased oil production in Libya and a declining worldwide demand for fuel, according to AAA's weekly news release on gas prices.

At $3.45 per gallon, the Kangaroo gas station at Southwest 34th Street and Southwest 35th Place has the cheapest gas in Gainesville, according to Justin Diggs, the store manager.

Diggs said customers have been asking questions about the price of gas and are excited about the decrease.

Those who want cheaper gas can drive 30 minutes south to Marion County, where gas prices are as low as $3.26 per gallon.

Gasoline prices may vary based on county and state taxes and how many people live in the area, said Jessica Brady, AAA spokeswoman.

The taxes on gas for Marion and Alachua counties are the same at 35 cents per dollar.

John Xanthos, a 19-year-old accounting sophomore, spends about $80 every three weeks to fill up the 22-gallon tank in his 2001 Dodge Durango. He said he thinks gas prices are still too high.

"I still remember when gas was $1.25 a gallon," Xanthos said.

Prices are predicted to drop again this week.