From the start of the modern education reform movement, presidents Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama have addressed education in different ways. However the primary issue remains the same. Education was, and still is, in need of dramatic reform.

In today's economic climate, it is easy to get lost in immediate issues that seem to take precedence over the one institution that can help alleviate many of our troubles: education. It is important that we take education out of the convoluted context in which it is entrapped today.

America's flawed education system has caused students relentless anger, increasing hostility and, most importantly, hopelessness toward an academic institution they were once so excited to join.

Somewhere between spending hundreds of dollars on textbooks and paying the part of tuition that our scholarships no longer cover - or the entire cost of attendance for those who don't have scholarships - we have become students more interested in saving money than pursuing the optimal quality of education.

Isn't college supposed to fulfill our desire to obtain a valuable educational experience?

Somewhere along the road of this thorny recession, students have lost a sense of belonging. The passion that was once there to become a doctor, lawyer, scientist or teacher is replaced by a fear that the job prospects may not be sufficient to return the amount spent on the degrees.

In our individualistic society, such a fear is especially daunting.

But why should we have to attend college with a disgruntled attitude? Waking up for the first day of school is no longer coupled with a sense of excitement and adventure; instead, it is met with disdain toward the fact that we are throwing our savings into this investment.

Can anyone see what is missing here? The motivation is dying. The ambition is being compromised. Financial resources have not been properly allocated toward universities and, as we all know, money dictates everything.

Without money, schools are left with a myriad of issues that ultimately hinder a student's ability to learn. Without a strong education system, we will not breed strong students. Inevitably, weak students will only create a weak future for our country.

The virtue of education has been lost.

To a certain degree, it is reasonable to point the finger at U.S. cultural attitudes and attribute the failure of our education system to the shift in values that has come with our rising generation.

Despite this claim, we still cannot overlook the scarcity of financial resources in the education sector. Even if our societal values do not revere education as much as other countries, nothing will improve unless we start implementing more funds toward education.

Even though identifying the underlying cause of our struggling education system is complex and often unwarranted, one thing is certain: America is lagging.

And we won't get anywhere by advocating for an inactive government to deal with our troubles.

Education must be the target of reform and, in order for this to happen, we need strong leadership.

The government must take an active and aggressive role in addressing the issues of our education system. Congress needs to be less concerned with interest groups and more concerned with nationwide cries for help.

Let us not lose sight of the purpose of this profound and meaningful institution. Let us not strip students of their right to excel and provide for their country.

Akansha Mishra is a pre-law junior at UF. Her column appears on Fridays.