It was a day of sickening triumph on one end and undeserved heartaches on the other.

Ten years ago, America suffered the unimaginable. Sept. 11, 2001 shattered this country's security, confidence and tolerance within milliseconds.

Televisions, radios and computers were inundated with the horrifying image of two of the world's most beautiful monuments falling to shreds. The frightening scene of men and women jumping out of windows traumatized vulnerable children. The sight of fire pervading the buildings terrified apprehensive parents.

The World Trade Center was ruined, and the Pentagon barely escaped total destruction.

As a trail of smoke from the attack permeated every household in America, we wept at the loss of our fellow citizens and prayed for a day in which our injured country could stand up again and face our vicious and implacable enemy.

In the meantime, we searched for answers relentlessly, trying to understand the intentions of the cruel mastermind behind the attack. The repercussions of 9/11 resonated without fail, and our hatred sprouted in every direction. It wasn't long before a new era was born in our country: the war on terrorism.

Every so often, differing political beliefs will subside to create a profound and uniform attitude among citizens. The post 9/11 climate brought us just that - an unvarying, unrelenting desire to defeat those who imposed their harm on us.

We fervently mourn the loss of the victims of the 9/11 attacks - Americans and non-Americans alike.

However, it is important to realize that the terrorists didn't demolish all of our morale; no matter how hard they try to break the rope that ties this country together, they will always fail.

Essentially, their actions led to ardent patriotism. In particular, Ground Zero screams, "You can't bring me down."

Our nationalism has allowed us to remain hopeful and strong even in the face of cold-hearted and ruthless terrorists who vow to end us. It is in the blood of this country to persevere and endure.

As we move away from the 9/11 attacks, we must continue to be vigilant. We must take action against those who harm us.

However, we must be careful not to stereotype all Muslims but identify and isolate those with ill intentions toward us.

In doing so, we should awaken the silent majority of moderate Muslims and encourage them to speak against terrorists who taint the goodness of their community. Harassing and judging Muslims is not the answer, and the intolerance must stop.

While it is disappointing that many of us have allowed our anger to manifest in suspicion, it is also important to understand that many Americans and 9/11 victims have successfully moved forward from the attacks. Heroism, yet again, defines our country, and courage remains unwavering.

The terrorists of 9/11 wanted to destroy our dignity, discredit the founding principles of our society and strip away our stability.

But look around you. Look at the confidence that has ensued from 9/11 and the innovations that have emerged to protect America.

Be watchful of intolerant people and correct them when you can, but always remember that we overcame. The power of unity and balance pushed us through such an awful time in our history. The terrorists will never be successful in dampening the spirit of American determination.

As Gandhi once said, "There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it - always."

Akansha Mishra is a pre-law junior at UF. Her column appears on Fridays.