I'm a psychology major at UF. I'm also a male. That makes me what some would call a rarity.

Even though psychology is one of the most popular programs at our university and I almost never have a class with fewer than 50 students, I frequently find myself among only a few other male counterparts in every classroom I walk into.

It's safe to say that when I attend class, I'm in a gender minority.

Now, that comes with some (obvious) advantages. One of the subtler ones is that I've learned a thing or two about the female population at UF.

And while I do try to avoid making gross generalizations about them, I think it's fair to claim that you can often divide the girls here into two groups: those who are in sororities and those who hate them.

Sure, there are a few women reading this who don't fit into either category. I'll admit you're out there. But when pressed, there's a good chance you'd still come down on one side or the other.

Something about Greek life (at least, at UF) brings out a ferocity of opinion that no religious debate on Turlington Plaza ever seems to spark.

And I get it. I've heard all the stereotypes about sorority girls, and I'm sure some of them have a pretty good basis in fact.

The clique (or cult?) mentality can sometimes be a bit too much. Their pursuits occasionally fall on the side of superficial. And you don't have to say much to convince me that a strict monogrammed dress code is kind of unnerving.

But here's the deal. Even if those sorority girls deserve some of their bum rap (and that's a topic for another article), those who deliver it look just as bad.

Just the other day I was sitting in one of my psychology classes, and the topic of sororities came up. As soon as it did, one girl behind me decided she couldn't contain herself. She spent the next several minutes ranting about how awful sororities are, assuring her friend that she'd never join one and outright mocking the poor girl who was explaining to the professor why recruitment week starts so early.

Maybe her points were legitimate. But there's no real justification for the way she made them. You might think the things sororities concern themselves with are superficial, but do you know what else is superficial? Criticizing girls you don't even know because they're all wearing the same outfit.

In fact, I can't think of anything much more superficial than delivering a venomous criticism of a person you know almost nothing about.

And you might very well believe that the sorority mentality cultivates a sense of conformity. But repeating ad nauseam the same things about how awful sororities are is a bit of conformity in itself.

The easiest way to go with the herd is to hate whatever group the herd hates in the same way the herd likes to hate them. If you despise sheep, you should really try acting less like one.

But more importantly, there are appropriate ways to offer your opinions, however negative and condemnatory those opinions might be. That method is not via snarky whispers and mocking imitations.

You'd be surprised to find out that the sort of personality you're complaining about is the type of personality you appear to have every time you don a high-pitched voice and try to giggle "like a sorority girl would."

So here's an idea: Have your opinions. Express those opinions. If you're really feeling ambitious, ask a sorority member to respond to your opinions.

But stop with the mean glares and the meaner insults. Stop generalizing, stereotyping and hating. Stop being exactly the type of person you're complaining about.

Either that, or go to one of the numerous universities in the nation without Greek life. I hear they have a great party scene.

Alex Guilmartin is a psychology and pre-law senior at UF. His column appears on Thursdays.