Local man charged with double homicide

A High Springs man accused of fatally shooting his wife and son was transferred to the Alachua County Jail on Monday.

Russell Dewayne Hogg, 58, is charged with two counts of premeditated capital murder.

The motive behind the murders is uncertain but may have involved an ongoing family dispute concerning a black pickup truck found at the scene, said Sgt. Todd Kelly, Alachua County Sheriff's Office public information officer.

The Alachua County Sheriff's Office received a 911 call at 12:59 p.m. Sunday and responded along with the High Springs Police Department to 240 SW Poe Springs Road in High Springs, where two gunshot victims were found in the front yard, according to an ASO news release.

Officers said 48-year-old Trenda Owens Hogg and 22-year-old Anthony Wayne Hogg, a construction worker, were pronounced dead at the scene.

Russell Dewayne Hogg was identified as a suspect due to witness accounts, Kelly said. According to an Alachua County Jail arrest report, an AK-47 was used in the shootings.

Deputies from the Columbia County Sheriff's Office found and detained Hogg on Highway 441 on the same day, according to a news release.

"It's a shocker to have ... a double homicide in a small community like High Springs, but at least there's some comfort in the people knowing the person responsible was quickly apprehended," Kelly said.