Local man stabbed in parking lot in stable condition

The victim of a Wednesday stabbing is now in stable condition after surgery, but the Alachua County Sheriff's Office's investigation is ongoing.

Justin Howard was stabbed in the parking lot of an apartment complex at 7203 SW 44th Place before he fled across the street and received help from another apartment resident, said Sgt. Todd Kelly, ACSO public information officer.

The sheriff's office responded to the incident after it received a 911 call at 6:26 p.m., according to an ACSO news release.

Howard was taken to a local hospital for immediate surgery.

Detectives interviewed witnesses and canvassed the area during their investigation, according to the release.

Quentin Hill, 20, told detectives that he was the other person involved in the stabbing.

He indicated he had stabbed Howard in self defense, Kelly said.

No charges have been filed, and no one has been arrested, Kelly said. Officers need to interview Howard when he is able.

Hill has been cooperative during the investigation. He lives in the area in which the stabbing occurred, Kelly said.

Howard, who does not live in the area according to the address on file with the sheriff's office, was previously arrested and taken to the Alachua County Jail for misdemeanor charges of breaching the peace and obstruction without violence.

He was booked into the jail and released on the same day, Jan. 8, Kelly said.