The Harn Museum has set an opening date for its new, 26,000-square-foot Asian art wing.

The wing, set to open March 31, has been in construction since last spring.

The new wing will hold 2,000 pieces of Asian artwork that are currently in the museum's permanent collection on a rotating viewing schedule.

The galleries in the wing will be dedicated to artwork from China, India, Japan, Korea, and South and Southeast Asia.

The David A. Cofrin wing will also feature two Asian-inspired gardens .

David A. Cofrin and his wife, Mary Ann, gave the museum a $10 million contribution to support the expansion.

Tami Wroath, spokeswoman for the Harn Museum, said construction on the new wing of the building should be completed by October or November, but the entire exhibit won't be ready for the public until the end of March.

Museum members will get a sneak preview of the exhibit the night before it opens to the public, Wroath said.

She said the museum is also working to plan special activities for the Asian wing's grand opening that may be incorporated into the Harn's Museum Nights program so students will also be able to get a preview of the new expansion.