The stroll through the Plaza of the Americas today will be much cooler thanks to UF and the Florida Lottery.

From 11 a.m. to noon, the two groups will host a free ice cream social for new and returning Bright Futures recipients.

This is the first time the Florida Lottery has held an ice cream social at UF, said Cynthia O'Connell, secretary of the Florida Lottery and former UF Trustee.

O'Connell said she originally contacted the Office of Student Affairs with the idea, and she hopes students know how much the Florida Lottery is proud of the work they are doing at UF.

Students who attend can learn more about the connection between Bright Futures and the Florida Lottery, she said.

The Florida Lottery funds 90 percent of Bright Futures scholarships, and that donation aids about 500,000 students throughout Florida, O'Connell said.

Winn-Dixie will donate about 600 servings of ice cream.

In addition to receiving free ice cream, students can enter to win prizes such as T-shirts and movie passes.

The first 300 Bright Futures recipients to check in and say "Bright Futures Scholarships are funded by the Florida Lottery" will receive free T-shirts.

O'Connell, Student Senate President Micah Lewis and Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Dave Kratzer are all scheduled to speak.

Mariel Manuel, a freshman biology major and a Bright Futures recipient, can't attend but said she's never been to an event that has celebrated Bright Future students.

"I think it's a good idea because students worked hard to get Bright Futures, and it's getting harder each year, so it's good the lottery is supporting them," Manuel said.

Myra Morgan, the director of external relations for the UF Division of Student Affairs, said she encourages all students in the area to stop by.

"It's a way for students to understand how the Bright Futures is funded, meet Secretary O'Connell and get free ice cream," she said.