<p>Members of Students for a Democratic Society protest tuition hikes around UF's campus Friday afternoon.</p>

Members of Students for a Democratic Society protest tuition hikes around UF's campus Friday afternoon.

Shouts of "chop from the top" and "stand up and fight back" echoed across campus Friday as about 30 members of the Gainesville chapter of Students for a Democratic Society held a protest against UF's 15-percent tuition hike.

The increase was approved in June by UF's Board of Trustees.

"This is a direct attack on public higher education," said SDS member Ryan DeWitt, a 23-year-old anthropology senior.

The group, which had the question of tuition increase placed on the Student Government ballot with a petition last week, protested in hopes of talking to UF Provost Joe Glover.

Students marched to the Plaza of the Americas and put a giant, bright-yellow price tag for $35,000 on the 20-foot-tall "Whispering Close" statue before marching into Tigert Hall and UF President Bernie Machen's office.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said while she had not expected the students to march up to the president's office, the administration encourages students to express their views.

SDS members will have the chance to hear about this balance from Machen as administrators agreed to schedule an interview between the president and Conor Munro, a member chosen to represent the organization.

"I am glad we got the meeting," said Munro, a 20-year-old economics sophomore. "The administration is, quite frankly, out of touch."