Tutoring service donating portion of revenue to Haiti aid groups

Students can get tutoring and give aid to a country in need by using one word: Haiti.

Mentioning Haiti at checkout knocks 10 percent off a student's purchase at StudyEdge. Another 10 percent of the sale will go to Gators United for Haiti to donate to relief funds.

"That's the easiest way somebody can help us," said Emily Nyren, president of Gators United for Haiti. "Everyone wins."

Nyren, who is not of Haitian descent, became involved in the organization after hearing that a hotel in Haiti had collapsed during the 2009 earthquake. Her father had stayed in the building during a previous trip to the country to volunteer with Food for the Poor.

"People that get involved with the cause aren't always directly impacted," she said. "Not being Haitian, I still saw the need of the Haitian people."

Students buying StudyEdge packets online can still save 10 percent by entering "Haiti" as a promotional code.

Gator United for Haiti will host its second 5K race to raise money for a charity of their choosing.

This year, the 5K race will be on Oct. 15. Runners can register online at gatorsunitedforhaiti.com or from Oct. 3 to 14 either on Turlington Plaza or on the Reitz Union Colonnade.

Samuel Joseph, vice president of Gators United for Haiti, said the donations last year went to Yélé Haiti, the American Red Cross, Planting Peace and Partners in Health, all of which provide aid to Haiti-related causes.