CNN analyst to talk about search for Osama bin Laden

CNN security analyst, journalist and author Peter Bergen will speak at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Buddy & Anne MacKay Auditorium in Pugh Hall.

Bergen's presentation, "Manhunt: The Search for Osama bin Laden," will detail the search, capture and eventual death of the al-Qaeda leader, according to Communications Director for the Bob Graham Center Shelby Taylor.

"This event offers an opportunity for the community to get some interesting intelligence information and figures regarding the hunt for bin Laden," Taylor said.

The event, part of the Bob Graham Center for Public Service's "Public Matters" speaker series, is free and open to the public and will be streaming live online at bobgrahamcenter.ufl.edu.

One of the leading experts in national security, Bergen is the first person to ever hold a televised interview with bin Laden and one of the only Westerners to interview him.

Bergen has reported on the Middle East and counter-terrorism homeland security for publications including The New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.

He is the director of the national security studies program at the New America Foundation and serves as a research fellow at New York University's Center on Law.

Bergen has written two New-York-Times-bestselling books, "The Longest War: The Enduring Conflict between America and Al-Qaeda" and "Holy War, Inc.: Inside the Secret World of Bin Laden," as well as the award-winning book "The Osama bin Laden I Know: An Oral History of al Qaeda's Leader"

"The speaker is clearly one of the top national security experts in the media today," said third-year political science major Bryce Freeman. "I'm looking forward to seeing him because I think he has a lot of great insights in al-Qaeda and the conflict in the Middle East in general."