Last year's slowest runner was a basset hound.

Saturday, dogs will be able to run alongside their owners again at the 30th Annual Dog Days Run hosted by the UF College of Veterinary Medicine and the UF Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association.

The proceeds from the 5K run and 1-mile Fun Run will go to the Global Alliance for Rabies Control and the Alachua County Humane Society.

The event will also include contests for awards such as best costume, smallest dog and best dog-and-owner look-alike.

"My favorite part is seeing the variety of dogs that come out," said Megan Manzie, second-year student at UF's veterinary school and this year's event coordinator.

She said one of the most memorable costume contest winners from last year was a man dressed up in a hula outfit and his dog, which sported a grass skirt and a coconut bra.

The 5K run will start at 8 a.m. at Westside Park followed by the Fun Run at 9 a.m.

Participants can register online before the event or between 6:45 a.m. and 7:45 a.m. Saturday morning. Registration for the run is at dogdays5k.webs.com.