Doors to on-campus haunted houses creak open this week

<p>Sleeping Beauty, Lindsey Wuest, attacked her prince, Nick Parr, in the Sledd Hall basement as part of the "Haunted Thomas" Halloween attraction in 2010.</p>

Sleeping Beauty, Lindsey Wuest, attacked her prince, Nick Parr, in the Sledd Hall basement as part of the "Haunted Thomas" Halloween attraction in 2010.

For a few nights in October, the UF dorms are haunted by ghosts, clowns and villains.

Area governments and students in Broward Hall, Springs Complex, Beaty Towers and Hume Hall have organized haunted houses to terrify their peers.

Jigsaw, the villain from the "Saw" movies, will transform Broward into a large haunted house tonight.

About 150 students from Broward and Rawlings Hall volunteered to organize the event, which will take place from 8 p.m. to midnight today in the Broward basement.

About 750 students attended last year's haunted house, said Laura Cook, one of the organizers for Haunted Broward.

Hume Hall will open its spooked doors at 5:30 p.m. today for 100 kids from the Boys & Girls Club of Alachua County.

Students can attend the haunted house from 8 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

The floors compete to create the best haunted house, and the floors with the least-interesting houses will close as the night goes on.

"We're keeping the coolest houses open the longest," said Kaitlyn Self, Student Honors Organization secretary.

Springs Complex's Spooky Springs and Beaty Towers' Terrifying Towers were scheduled for Wednesday night.

Entrance is free at all the haunted houses.

Steven Geller, a 19-year-old chemical engineering sophomore, went to Haunted Hume last year.

"The best part was seeing the expressions on people's faces," he said.