Library West will be open for 24 hours Sunday through Thursday in the spring if a Student Senate bill earns final approval.

The bill would transfer $59,174 from Student Government reserve funds to George A. Smathers Libraries to extend Library West's hours.

The Senate unanimously gave primary approval at Tuesday night's meeting.

Budget committee chairwoman and Unite Party spokeswoman Christina Bonarrigo said she wasn't surprised when the Senate approved the funds transfer.

"I know that so many students face the issue of trying to find a study area," she said.

The spring hours extension is a "pilot project" test that SG is funding. She said if the test proves to be a success, Library West will keep and fund the extended hours.

The SG funds would cover the costs of two library assistants, a student assistant and a security guard. Bonarrigo said the library would cover the utilities costs.The Starbucks by the main entrance will keep the same hours as the library, she said.

Library West is open from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday.