Man shot in head during confrontation in parking garage

What began as an argument between two groups of men at a nightclub ended in violence when a man was shot in the head in the early morning Sunday at a city parking garage. 

The argument began at Plasma Lounge, 7 SW Second St., then continued into the parking lot and to the Southwest Downtown Parking Garage.

The victim, 30-year-old Artrel Dubose, was with a group of three or four men who were arguing with another group of three men. Police don't yet know what the fight was about, said Cpl. Angelina Valuri, Gainesville Police Department public information officer.

"It became physical when the victim's friend got punched in the face and knocked to the ground by someone in the other group," she said. "As the victim was helping his friend up from the ground, he was shot in the head."

Dubose, who is from the Atlanta area, was taken to Shands Hospital after officers arrived at the scene. His family took him off life support early Sunday afternoon, Valuri said.

Relatives told police Dubose had survived an incident 10 years before in which he was shot in the head and lost an eye because of his injuries.

Two men have been arrested in connection with the Sunday incident: 20-year-old Brandon Brashod Wilson, who is charged with homicide and burglary, and 22-year-old Deron Matthews, who is charged with burglary, Valuri said.

The burglary charges were due to the suspects' decision to break into a local business or businesses to hide from police following the shooting.

One man who may have a first name of Craig is still at large and wanted for questioning, Valuri said.

Police determined that Wilson fired the shots using a semi-automatic, .40-caliber handgun that hasn't been found.