Notebook: Brantley not practicing, status for UGA uncertain

<p>Florida starting quarterback John Brantley was still wearing a walking boot Saturday, but coach Will Muschamp said he hopes Brantley will return to practice next week.</p>

Florida starting quarterback John Brantley was still wearing a walking boot Saturday, but coach Will Muschamp said he hopes Brantley will return to practice next week.

Though he remains hopeful that John Brantley will be ready for the Georgia game Oct. 29, coach Will Muschamp said Tuesday that Florida’s starting quarterback will not practice this week.

Brantley, who suffered a sprained ankle Oct. 1 against Alabama, has not practiced since the injury occurred. He was on the sidelines in a walking boot this past weekend, when Florida played Auburn.

Brantley will throw this week, but Muschamp said the redshirt senior won’t be ready until his side-to-side movement improves — an action that puts stress on the ankle. 

“He’s living in the training room,” Muschamp said. “He’s doing everything he can do to get back. It’s been very frustrating for him and us.”

Asked whether Brantley would be allowed to play if still limited, Muschamp said that decision would be between the quarterback and the trainer, Anthony Pass.

This week, freshmen Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel will split repetitions. Brissett played the first half at quarterback against Auburn, and Driskel took snaps in the second. Neither was effective, as the Gators managed just 128 passing yards.

Earmuffs: Muschamp apologized Tuesday for using profanity on the sidelines Saturday. After running back Chris Rainey muffed a punt in the first quarter against Auburn, Muschamp could be heard on ESPN ripping the referees.

The blog sportsgrid.com posted a video of Muschamp’s rant with isolated field audio minutes after it happened Saturday night, and the clip has since gone viral.

After calling for a fair catch, Rainey bobbled the ball, and Auburn recovered. As Rainey was trying to field the ball, a Tigers player ran close by, and after the play Rainey signaled to the refs that he thought kick-catch interference should have been called.

Muschamp also argued with the refs, and he continued to berate them after calling a timeout.

The coach came to Gainesville with the nickname “Coach Boom,” a label he earned because of his dramatic sideline demeanor at Texas and Auburn. Muschamp has been criticized at times this season for the same antics, though he made it clear Tuesday he does not plan to change.

“It’s hard when you got a 6-year-old and a 10-year-old at home,” he said. “You got to go home and explain to them what you said. … As far as the sideline stuff is concerned, we’re going to be who we are. I’m just apologizing for the language. Nothing else.”

Injuries: Cornerback Jeremy Brown (sprained knee) will take reps in practice this week, Muschamp said. Brown has been sidelined since the first week of training camp in August.

The coach also said running back Jeff Demps (left ankle), wide receiver Andre Debose (leg), running back Mike Gillislee (unspecified), Buck linebacker Ronald Powell (unspecified), kicker Caleb Sturgis (strained leg) and guard Dan Wenger (lower leg) will practice this week. 

Contact Tyler Jett at tjett@alligator.org