Notebook: Sources say Rainey dealing with injury after loss to Georgia

<p>Running back Chris Rainey (1) is attended to by multiple trainers during Saturday’s loss to Georgia while coach Will Muschamp (right) looks on. Rainey injured his right ankle early in the first quarter but returned in the second quarter.</p>

Running back Chris Rainey (1) is attended to by multiple trainers during Saturday’s loss to Georgia while coach Will Muschamp (right) looks on. Rainey injured his right ankle early in the first quarter but returned in the second quarter.

Redshirt senior running back Chris Rainey’s right foot was in a protective boot Monday, multiple sources close to the team said.

Rainey suffered a right ankle injury with 10:21 left in the first quarter Saturday against Georgia. After losing three yards on a run to his left, Rainey stayed on the ground, holding his leg. He returned in the second quarter and finished with 94 all-purpose yards.

Rainey leads the Gators in rushing yards (526), receiving yards (305) and all-purpose yards (1,009) this season.

Coach Will Muschamp did not name Rainey in his injury report Monday morning, and a team spokesman declined comment.

Muschamp has been ambiguous about injuries all season. After quarterback John Brantley suffered a right ankle sprain against Alabama on Oct. 1, for example, Muschamp said the quarterback was out with a “lower leg” injury.

Muschamp updated the status of several other players Monday, however.   

Brantley “seems to be fine.” Cornerback Cody Riggs (wrist) is probable. Kicker Caleb Sturgis (right leg) and linebacker Lerentee McCray (undisclosed) are questionable.

Muschamp hopes to have running back Mike Gillislee (ankle) and right tackle Chaz Green (right ankle) back in practice by Wednesday. Cornerback Jeremy Brown (sprained knee) will not practice this week. He has been out since the first week of training camp.

Also, linebacker Jon Bostic dislocated the ring finger on his right hand while trying to sack Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray on Saturday.

Leonard still with the team: Freshman tight end A.C. Leonard did not travel with the team to Jacksonville on Saturday because of a “personal issue” Muschamp said.

“He’s fine,” Muschamp said. “He was here this morning and good to go.”

The annual Florida-Georgia game is held in Leonard’s hometown. He graduated from Jacksonville University Christian School.

What bowl?: Muschamp said the Gators are not worried about whether they will be bowl eligible this season.

“Nothing’s changed as far as our approach and how we do things,” he said. “We’re going to focus on our football team and improving and finding out what we need to do to beat (Vanderbilt).”

UF must finish at least 2-2 to be eligible to play in a bowl game. If so, Florida will likely be selected by one of the Southeastern Conference’s bottom-rung bowls, like the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville or the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham, Ala., according to current projections.

UF has played in a bowl every year since 1990, when the team went 9-2 during a season on probation.

Defending the O-line: After surrendering a season-high six sacks Saturday, the Gators rank 73rd nationally in sacks allowed per game. In particular, left tackle Xavier Nixon has taken heat recently.

Muschamp said the criticism is unfair, saying, “Every time a sack happens, everyone wants to point a finger at the offensive line. That wasn’t the case Saturday. We had six sacks and probably some situations we could’ve helped out from a coaching standpoint. We could’ve helped from a formation standpoint. The running back was supposed to chip one time and didn’t.”

Florida has allowed 15 sacks during the team’s four-game losing streak. In their first four games, the Gators gave up just two.

Contact Tyler Jett at tjett@alligator.org.