<p>First-year music graduate student Don-Paul Kahl plays the saxophone at the University Auditorium Wednesday. Kahl is vying for a solo with the UF Orchestra in the UF School of Music Concerto Competition.</p>

First-year music graduate student Don-Paul Kahl plays the saxophone at the University Auditorium Wednesday. Kahl is vying for a solo with the UF Orchestra in the UF School of Music Concerto Competition.

Don-Paul Kahl gasped for air. His 12 minutes were almost up.

Kahl, a music performance graduate student, was one of 32 UF musicians who participated in UF School of Music's annual Concerto Competition Wednesday afternoon at the University Auditorium.

The 22-year-old saxophonist competed in hopes of earning a solo in UF's upcoming orchestra performance.

"I dream big," Kahl said.

Kahl said he imagines the room filled with an eager audience who paid to watch him perform.

Charles W. Pickeral, director of operations at the School of Music, gave each participant 12 minutes to perform. Twenty-two undergraduate students and 10 graduate students competed.

Pickeral said the competition differs from others because it showcases a variety of instruments, even though most are centered around just one.

Three music teachers, two from the University of North Florida and one from the University of South Florida, judged the contestants this year.

Pickeral has new judges come in each year to encourage a fair competition.

"These judges don't know who won last year," he said. "They're not bringing any baggage."

Although Kahl did not end up winning the competition this year - that honor went to undergraduate saxophonist Joshua Bond and soprano graduate student Anna Feucht - he said he still was glad he participated.

When he plays the saxophone, he said, he expresses his passion by moving along with the instrument.

"Music is movement," Kahl said. "It's a movement of air. Why shouldn't it move us?"