Students compete in talent show for Gator Growl performance slots

<p>Soloist Jessica Jones performs her rendition of "Don't Rain on My Parade" at the 2011 Talent Night Wednesday.</p>

Soloist Jessica Jones performs her rendition of "Don't Rain on My Parade" at the 2011 Talent Night Wednesday.

UF's 10th annual Talent Night offered audience members a sneak peak at this year's Gator Growl performances.

The event, held Wednesday night in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom, marked the start of UF's 2011 Homecoming celebrations and served as a second audition for individuals and groups vying for a performance slot at the pep rally Nov. 4.

Sabor Latino dance team, student band The Hush and singer Jessica Jones will all be performing at Gator Growl 2011.

With standing room only, the ballroom was packed with about 900 attendees.

There were 15 acts throughout the evening. Each act fell under one of three categories: solo, group or dance.

A panel of five judges critiqued the performances, rating them from one at worst to five at best.

The contestants were judged based on their creativity, skill and crowd appeal.

Brittney Austin, director of Talent Night, said she is looking forward to watching the winners perform at Gator Growl, and she expects the production to keep growing and improving throughout the years.

"I think [Talent Night] is a unique way to get students involved in Gator Growl and be a part of such a huge production they might not get the chance to be a part of otherwise," Austin said.

Colleen Baublitz, a 19-year-old environmental engineering sophomore, came to support a roommate but said she really enjoyed the entire show.

"All of the other acts were really good, too," she said. "I'm so glad I came."

With this being her first time at Talent Night, Chelsea Bennett, a 20-year-old criminology and psychology junior, said she was "pleasantly surprised" after the show.

"All of the acts were impressive," she said. "It takes a lot to go up there and perform."

Gator Growl is advertised as the largest student-run pep rally in the country.

Other acts this year include performances by rock band Goo Goo Dolls and comedian Joel McHale. The event will also feature a fireworks display.