According to a recent study, people who drink more than three alcoholic drinks a day could be more at risk for lung cancer.

Researchers at Kaiser Permanente in Oakland, Calif., found that people who had more than three alcoholic drinks were 30 percent more likely to develop lung cancer, with a 70 percent rise in risk if the person preferred beer over wine or liquor.

In the study, researchers first surveyed more than 126,000 people between 1978 and 1985.

Researchers studied their lifestyles and diets and tracked their incident of lung cancer through 2008, according to a U.S. News and World Report article.

Next, they monitored the instances of lung cancer.

The findings were presented at the annual meeting of American College of Chest Physicians, held Oct. 22 to 26 in Honolulu.

Ronald Akers, a UF criminology and sociology professor, said alcohol is linked to lung cancer because people who drink have a higher frequency of smoking as well. These people are social smokers and drinkers.

"There is a behavioral correlation," Akers said. "People who don't drink at all almost have a zero chance of smoking."

Multisubstance use syndrome states someone who uses one kind of substance is more likely to use another.

Smoking and drinking are not caused by each other but are closely related, Akers said.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more people die in the United States from lung cancer than any other type of cancer.

According to the CDC website, in 2007, the latest year for which the data is available, 203,536 people were diagnosed with lung cancer, and 158,683 people died from it.

Individuals ages 18 to 25, the college-age group, who start drinking and smoking now are more likely to keep that habit 25 years from now, Akers said.

He said this increases their chances of developing lung cancer.