Tattoo shop raffles off ink, piercings for local charities

<p>Addiction Tattoo customer Mike Beall, 22, looks through a portfolio of tattoos on Thursday evening. Addiction Tattoo is holding a Halloween Hottest Tattoo and Piercing Contest with a $250 prize pack and a raffle with all proceeds going to St. Francis House and the Ronald McDonald House.</p>

Addiction Tattoo customer Mike Beall, 22, looks through a portfolio of tattoos on Thursday evening. Addiction Tattoo is holding a Halloween Hottest Tattoo and Piercing Contest with a $250 prize pack and a raffle with all proceeds going to St. Francis House and the Ronald McDonald House.

When Keith Bucella was thinking of how to give back to the community, the decision came easily to him because of his rough past.

Addiction Tattoo will be holding a raffle to donate to Peaceful Paths, a shelter for abused women, and the Ronald McDonald House, a program providing care for sick children and their families.

Bucella, 36, owner of Addiction Tattoo, said he chose those two charities because he grew up in a house where his mother was beaten.

His ex-girlfriend's nephew recently was in the Ronald McDonald House and passed away.

"I'm sticking to what I know," he said.

All proceeds from the event will be split evenly between the two charities.

The winner of the raffle will be able to get a tattoo valued up to $50 and one piercing.

Raffle tickets can be purchased at Addiction Tattoo, 819 W. University Ave. and cost $1 each.

Winners of the Halloween's Hottest Tattoo and Piercing Contest, separate from the raffle, can win two piercings, one tattoo valued up to $150 and a backpack full of free promotional items.

The contest and raffle started Oct. 1 and will end Halloween night.

Even though the shop has been open for only six months, Bucella said it was important for him to give back to the community.

Bucella said he is from Brooklyn, and that is the atmosphere he is aiming for in his shop.

He said the shop has a great relationship with the Gainesville Police Department and a lot of the officers have come for their first tattoos or for repeat tattoos and piercings.

Bucella said he and his staff spent three weeks at the tattoo shop working from the early morning until the late night, about 150 hours, readying it for opening day in April.