Birthright trip to Israel offers more seats to students

<p>UF students on a Hillel Birthright trip meet the Israeli soldier
who will accompany them during their trip.</p>

UF students on a Hillel Birthright trip meet the Israeli soldier who will accompany them during their trip.

Michelle Amit wanted to meet new people while on a trip to Israel.

She applied for the Birthright trip in October, certain she would be accepted, but she was wait-listed.

Disappointed, the 20-year-old microbiology sophomore began to make other plans for Winter Break.

However, Amit now has another chance to go to Israel this winter.

UF Hillel has been offered an extra bus and can send 40 more students to Israel through the tour operator Israel Experts, said Joshua Kahn, the Jewish agency program director at Hillel.

Birthright is a 10-day trip that allows people of Jewish heritage to connect with their roots by visiting Israel.

Israel funds 15 percent of the costs, and various organizations and private donors fund the rest.

Sending one person to Israel costs about $3,000. The program is free except for a $250 security deposit, which is returned at the end of the trip.

The trip includes a round-trip ticket, two meals a day and a bus seat while traveling in Israel.

About 50 percent of applicants are usually wait-listed for winter trips, Kahn said.

With the new winter trip, UF students who previously registered, regardless of what trip operator used, can apply.

Twenty of the 40 new spots had already been filled as of Tuesday night.

Students interested in attending the trip, which is from Dec. 29 to Jan. 8, should email Kahn at Josh@ufhillel.org.

Kahn said he must have a final list by Wednesday.

UF Hillel has already accepted 40 students for the first trip, which is from Dec. 27 to Jan. 7.

While Amit has emailed Kahn, she's not sure if she or her friend will be able to go on the new trip.

"We both kind of accepted the fact that chances were pretty slim to get on a trip that fit both our schedules while we were wait-listed," Amit said. "As cool as it would be to travel this winter, there's always next year, worst case scenario."