<p>Coach Amanda Butler said she wants to see forward Jennifer George (32) and the Gators box out well against Hampton tonight.</p>

Coach Amanda Butler said she wants to see forward Jennifer George (32) and the Gators box out well against Hampton tonight.

The Gators have been struggling to clean up on the glass.

UF’s minus-0.7 rebounding margin bests only LSU’s minus-1.7 mark in the Southeastern Conference, and the Gators and the Tigers are the only two teams in the SEC that are losing the battle on the boards to their opponents this season.

While encouraged by her team’s rebounding at times against FSU last Thursday, coach Amanda Butler was bothered by UF’s failure to play aggressively throughout the game.

“I didn’t think we saw that type of consistent fight and battle for possession all the way through,” she said.

Florida held a 20-19 advantage on the boards at the break, but Florida State pulled down four more than UF in the second half.

In three games, Florida has pulled down 120 rebounds compared to 122 by its opponents: Michigan, Stetson, and Florida State.

Junior forward Jennifer George and senior center Azania Stewart share the team lead with 16 rebounds each. George pulled down a season-best nine boards against Stetson while Stewart grabbed a team-high six against Michigan and Florida State.

George and Stewart are the squad’s top-two rebounders, but Butler does not expect them to carry the brunt of the rebounding load.

“[The post players] know that’s a big part of their job to control the paint, especially in the rebounding realm,” Butler said.

“But the guards have got to do their part as well.”

Senior guard Lanita Bartley is two rebounds shy of the team lead and sophomore guard Jaterra Bonds, who tied with Stewart for a team-high six boards against Florida State, ranks fourth with 13.

Getting the guards involved in the rebounding effort — especially on the offensive end — is key for creating extra possessions.

Butler believes that an increased guard presence on the boards will also help the Gators clean up on the defensive glass.

UF ranks last in the SEC with a .550 defensive rebound percentage, surrendering 54 offensive boards.

“When the ball coming off the rim is in a guard’s hands, that’s one less pass you have to make to get the ball closer to the rim going in the other direction,” Butler said.

Florida (2-1) will have to keep up the scoring effort down low and pick up the slack on the boards against Hampton (2-0) tonight at 7 in the O’Connell Center.

The Pirates prevailed in last season’s contest, 69-54, winning the rebound battle 38-30 and outscoring the Gators 28-16 in the paint.

“Hampton is a team that will just absolutely punish you if you don’t box them out,” Butler said.

“I would like to see us value boxing out and not tipping the ball around as much and putting two hands on the ball and grabbing it and controlling possession.”