Critter hat trend prowls around campus, Oaks Mall stores

<p>Critter and character hats line the walls of Spencer's in the Oaks Mall.</p>

Critter and character hats line the walls of Spencer's in the Oaks Mall.

First spotted on the streets of New York and Los Angeles on celebrities such as Khloe Kardashian Odom, critter hats have scurried their way down to Gainesville. And with cold weather around the corner (fingers crossed), they'll have a warm welcome.

Critter hats feature animal and character faces with corresponding ears on top.

Some have long, flapped sides with slots featuring paw prints for your hands, and some are beanie-like with short, braided strands with pompoms attached to the ends. Some even have matching mittens. Faces on the hats range from tigers and bears to turtles and raccoons.

The trend trickled down from the Northeast and West Coast and has quickly become a new fashion statement, especially among college students.

"I just love the hats," said Ian Aranca, a 19-year-old psychology junior. "Anyone can wear them, as long they have no shame."

Aranca is sporting his second critter hat of the year, featuring one of his favorite Digimon characters, Terriermon. His first was a panda hat, similar to the one singer Pink was seen wearing last winter.

Although they have largely been popular with college students, people from preteens to senior citizens are sporting the furry accessories this fall and winter.

"These hats are a new way for people to express themselves and stay young," said Shanna Swiers, the 25-year-old store manager at Spencer's in the Oaks Mall. "Everyone loves them."

Swiers said the store has seen a huge demand for the hats this fall. She estimates having sold about 100 this fall alone and expects to sell more once the weather gets colder.

A new kiosk in the Oaks Mall, NYS Collection, has a large variety of critter hats, said store manager, Denisha Williams, 27.

"The hats are going very quickly," Williams said.

The NYS Collection store came from Oklahoma, where the hats have been popular for quite some time, she said.

In the three weeks since the store's opening, she has sold hats mainly to people between the ages of 15 and 24.

"It's a way to be different," she said. "Everyone has a favorite animal, and nine times out of 10, you can find it on one of the hats."

Williams said she has even sold the hats to older men between the ages of 50 and 60.

One reason that these hats are becoming so popular is because of their versatility.

Because there are so many different styles and animals to choose from, anyone with a head on his or her shoulders can wear one.

"They're just really fun," said Deana Diaz, 27-year-old store manager at Zumiez in the Oaks Mall. "People with any style can wear them."

J.C. Penney, Walmart and Target are also selling these trendy critter hats. The hats are priced anywhere from $10 to $35, depending on the style.

No matter your age or budget, whether you want to prance around in a tiger hat or keep warm in a lion headdress, you can do so without being judged.

"We are all children at heart," Aranca said.