Humans vs. Zombies returns with some wardrobe changes

Nerf darts will fly, and the zombies will multiply when the Humans vs. Zombies game returns to campus - this time sporting new, Student Government-funded accessories.

The 24-hour-a-day campus-wide game of tag begins at midnight Wednesday and ends Sunday night.

A group of people wearing bandanas on their arms and carrying balled-up socks and Nerf guns act as humans who ward off zombies. The zombies, who wear bandanas on their heads, tag the humans to turn them into zombies.

Players must wear the designated orange and blue Humans vs. Zombies bandanas during the game. The 1,600 bandanas were bought over the summer and paid for by SG, which gave the club $3,600, according to Rebecca Foster, Humans vs. Zombies chapter president.

"We negotiated with the police to use bandanas instead of T-shirts," said game moderator Anthony Cardona, a 19-year-old exploratory liberal arts sophomore.

Bandanas are distributed to players at the rules meetings. The final rules meeting will be held in Rinker Hall Room 110 today at 8 p.m.

Participants must attend a rules meeting, receive a waiver and check out a bandana before they play.

Players must return the bandanas by Sunday or they will be fined, Cardona said.

As of Monday evening, there were 182 people registered for the game. About 1,100 people participated in the largest Humans vs. Zombies game at UF held in spring 2010.