<p>Florida senior guard Jordan Jones led the team in scoring last season with 10.2 points per game.</p>

Florida senior guard Jordan Jones led the team in scoring last season with 10.2 points per game.

Coach Amanda Butler had a vision for the Gators, and Jordan Jones wanted in.

Jones wanted to beat Tennessee, play in the NCAA Tournament and put the Florida women’s basketball program on the map.

Three years later, Florida is still chasing its first-ever Southeastern Conference title.

Jones has been encouraged by a change in attitude within the program since her arrival but noted there is a sense of urgency among the senior class.

“When I was recruited, we talked about SEC championships,” Jones said. “We haven’t really come close yet.”

The Gators have compiled a 35-32 record and a 14-18 SEC mark since Jones joined the squad two seasons ago.

Both campaigns ended in disappointing fashion, as Florida exited the Women’s National Invitation Tournament in the second round in 2009-10 and third round in 2010-11.

“We can’t waste any games, we can’t waste any practices,” Jones said. “This is the last chance.”

The Gators return 10 players from last season’s team, including five seniors.

And of those five seniors, Jones boasts the most experience, averaging a team-high 30 minutes per game during the last two seasons.

“I’ve been through highs and lows — not just me, but the other people who have been here as well,” Jones said. “You need to learn through tough times in order to experience the best times.”

  

Jones has always prided herself on scoring.

Playing alongside 2011 WNBA Rookie of the Year Maya Moore at Suwanee (Ga.) Collins Hill High, Jones broke the school’s single-season 3-point record two years in a row.

Moving on to collegiate play did not faze Jones, who continued to fare well from beyond the arc.

During her first season in Columbia, S.C., she led the Gamecocks with 13.1 points per game and set a school record with 97 3-point field goals.

Most impressive was her 3.03 per game average from 3-point range, which ranked third nationally.

However, Jones’ offensive role has been different since she arrived in Gainesville.

Butler champions a balanced attack for the Gators offensively, and while Jones did lead the team in scoring last season, she did so with just 10.2 points per game.

“That’s the best way to go,” she said. “No one has all the pressure on their shoulders. We play relaxed.”

While Jones’ offensive numbers may be down, freshman point guard Carlie Needles said that opposing defenses still key in on Jones.

“People are going to have to worry about Jordan outside because if you have your hands down, she’s going to shoot it no matter where she is,” Needles said. “She could be at the Gator head and still shoot it.”

Butler has noticed that some of Jones’ confidence in her shot has translated to her play on the other side of the ball.

Butler called Jones one of Florida’s “steadiest defenders” and referred to her as a “stopper.”

“We took great strides last year when she finally decided she was going to ‘woman up’ and take some charges,” Butler said.

  

Assuming a leadership role has been a gradual process for Jones.

According to Butler, Jones has responded by working on different facets of her game, both physically and mentally.

Senior center Azania Stewart said Jones has been getting more involved in the paint and is improving her rebounding.

“She’s a great shooter, but she’s perfected her floater shot and driving in strong, so that’s a different dimension to her game,” Stewart said.

Needles has been appreciative of Jones’ friendliness and openness, calling her a “really good mentor.”

“If she can tell by my body language that I don’t understand something, she’s always the first one to come over and explain something to me,” Needles said.

With Florida’s season opener against Michigan scheduled for Thursday, Jones said that she finally realizes that her career is coming to an end.

With that type of finality on the horizon, Jones says she is motivated to help achieve what Butler has set out to accomplish at Florida.

“She’s made me grow up a lot,” Jones said. “You never expect a coach to get in your face and yell at you or tell you you’re being selfish and you’re not doing things her way.

“For you to have to learn to accept that, you have to grow up a lot and I think she’s really helped me.”