Mock trial team wins accolades in local competitions

John Cassel takes the stand.

The court case concerns a DUI, a felony charge that could ruin the life of the defendant. And this 18-year-old is a key witness.

Except Cassel isn't himself right now.

He is acting as a middle-aged bartender who makes as many corny jokes as he does rum-and-cokes.

And Cassel isn't an actor in some law TV show where the famous "dun dun!" plays when a scene cuts out.

This is the UF Mock Trial Team, and Cassel, a mathematics freshman, plays the role of witness for his team.

Members of the Mock Trial Team, also called the "LitiGators," participate in rehearsed trials in regional and national competitions.

The team recently participated in competitions at the University of Georgia, Florida State University and UF. Teams and individual members from UF won awards.

Cassel won Best Witness awards at the UGA and UF competitions.

"You have to polish the character you are becoming, and that takes practice," Cassel said. "You need to be interesting to listen to."

Cassel said his success is a result of teamwork.

The UF Mock Trial Team is divided into four separate teams, all between nine and 10 members. The team had 37 members in all.

While this is the Mock Trial Team's fifth year in existence, it is the first year the team has a faculty adviser. Before that, the team was completely student-run.

Laura Sjoberg, an assistant professor in political science, is the faculty coach for the team.

She works closely with team members and gives them advice.

"The plan is to send all four teams to the national championship," Sjoberg said. "We've got the largest group UF has fielded."

The championship, which has no set location yet, usually takes place in April.

Until then, team members will continue practicing and attending local competitions.

"Most members are pre-law, so it's hard not to fall in love," said John Kelly, a 21-year-old finance senior and president of the team. "And when you spend this much time together, we become best friends."