Disability Awareness Week, hosted by Student Government, began Friday. But Meredith Raymond, director of the Disability Affairs cabinet, said she hopes the entire week will foster an awareness of people apart from their disabilities.

The week, which Raymond said is the first of its kind at UF, will consist of five events aimed to shed light on a wide spectrum of disabilities.

On Tuesday at 8 p.m., SG and Reitz Union Board Entertainment will present "Temple Grandin," a biopic about an autistic woman who advocated for humane livestock handling, which will be shown at the Reitz Union Auditorium. Free ice cream will be served at the event.

On Wednesday from 11 a.m to 1 p.m., the Disability Awareness Fair will host several organizations affiliated with the disability community at the Reitz Union Colonnade.

Dinner with Disabilities, catered by Kay Bros. BBQ, will aim to simulate what it's like for physically disabled individuals to eat meals. Dinner with Disabilities will take place Thursday at 7 p.m. in Ustler Hall.

To close the week of festivities, Not Just Ramps, a theatrical performance group that promotes awareness of disabilities, will perform Friday in Reitz Union Room 282 at 8 p.m.

"The purpose of Disability Awareness Week is to inspire students to look beyond the title of ‘disability,'" she said. "People aren't defined by their disability," Raymond said.