A UF student was arrested early Thursday after police say he forced his way into a fellow UF student's apartment and attacked her and her roommate.

Journalism senior Matthew Collins, 21, of 1237 SW Second Ave., was charged in connection with the forced entry and battery of two women, also UF students, said Cpl. Angelina Valuri, Gainesville Police Department public information officer.

The first victim, Summer Poirier, 19, told police she had been dating Collins for the past seven months, Valuri said.

She also told police she had agreed to meet Collins outside of The Courtyards Apartment complex, 1231 SW Third Ave., where she lives.

Poirier said she opened her apartment door to leave at about 2:30 a.m. Thursday when Collins forced his way into her apartment. She told police he had been hiding outside her door when she opened it, according to a GPD arrest report.

Collins then began arguing with the victim and followed her into her bedroom.

She said he grabbed her by the waist and tossed her onto her bed, took hold of the back of her head and slammed it repeatedly against her mattress, according to the arrest report.

Then he walked out of her bedroom.

The second victim and Poirier's roommate, Catherine Harris, 19, told police she was on her cellphone when he walked into the room.

Collins then tossed her phone out of her hand and hit her in the face, according to the report.

She told him she was calling the police.

Police said Collins left before officers arrived on scene.

Collins was arrested at 4 a.m. and taken to the Alachua County Jail.

He is charged with one count of dating violence-related battery and one count of battery. Both are first-degree misdemeanors.

He is also charged with one count of burglary with assault or battery, which is a first-degree felony.

After officials read Collins his Miranda rights, he said he had agreed to meet with Poirier, who said she was his girlfriend, at her apartment, according to the report. He said he was there at the time of the crimes.

He told police he and Poirier were arguing because she was upset he was taking another woman to a social function the following evening, according to the report.

Collins is a member of Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity.