<p>Sherwin Rio, a 19-year-old art and criminology sophomore, and seniors Mary Hart, 23, an aerospace engineering major, and Melnard Rio, 21, a civil engineering major, read pew cards with the new Catholic prayers on them.</p>

Sherwin Rio, a 19-year-old art and criminology sophomore, and seniors Mary Hart, 23, an aerospace engineering major, and Melnard Rio, 21, a civil engineering major, read pew cards with the new Catholic prayers on them.

On Nov. 27, Catholic churches in Gainesville and around the world will adopt a new translation of the Roman Missal, which provides instructions for Mass. The translation will be the biggest change to Mass in recent years.

"It will affect a lot of the responses we've been saying [during Mass] since we were little kids," said Catholic Gators co-president John Callovi.

The changes are designed to provide a more accurate translation of the original Latin, said Letty Valentine, Liturgy director of the Holy Faith Catholic Church in Gainesville.

Some changes, like the line "one in being with the Father" to "consubstantial with the Father" may be more difficult to understand, she said.

"It's going to feel foreign to us," Valentine said. "It's going to be difficult to follow the meaning of it."

Daniel Conigliaro, spiritual director of the Newman Club, a Catholic organization at UF, said he has attended information sessions on the new translation.

"[The change] requires some effort on our part," he said.

The new translation, including "consubstantial," is truer to the original meaning, Valentine said.

"'Consubstantial with the Father' expresses better that Jesus and God are of the same substance," she said.

Conigliaro said he also thinks the change is positive.

"The imagery used in prayers will be very clear and allow for deeper meditation on what these words really mean," he said.