UF sees rise in number of undergraduate applicants

Despite a lackluster football season and winning the title of 10th douchiest school in the U.S., UF received more applications this year than last year.

As of the Nov. 1 deadline, 26,602 undergraduate applications were received, which is 432 more than last year, UF spokesman Steve Orlando said.

"It's been going up pretty regularly every year," he said.

UF continues to accept late applications until March. After admission decisions are released for all the applicants who met the Nov. 1 deadline, the admissions office will review late applications and admit more students if there's room.

During the past couple of years, Orlando said, UF has received about 3,000 late applications.

Last year was a new record for total applications, with 29,269 submitted by March.

UF has a 39 percent acceptance rate, Orlando said. About 11,400 applicants were admitted in 2010.

Florida State University received about 35,000 applications this fall, said Browning Brooks, director of the FSU News and Public Affairs. Of those applicants, about 12,000 were admitted.

Vanessa Perez-Bermudez, a 17-year-old senior at Pine Ridge High School in Deltona, said she sent in her application to UF last Saturday.

She said she also applied to the University of Central Florida and Florida International University.

Perez-Bermudez said she found the essay easy to write but stressed about the application process because UF is her top choice.

She will wait until February to learn if she has been accepted.

"It's very nerve-wracking because I want to know when my dreams start coming true."