Six UF students are trying to raise awareness about local homeless youth and encourage students to take action.

Transient Children of Alachua County is hosting "Homeless for the Holidays" from noon to 2 p.m. Friday on the Plaza of the Americas.

"Ultimately, the event is designed to try and engage the community to get involved with the issue," said Daniela Abratt, a 20-year-old journalism senior and group project leader.

The event is part of a project by students in professor John Kaplan's Social Media and Social Responsibility class.

"The goal of TCAC is to document homeless children in Alachua County and to tell their personal stories through in-depth reporting, feature writing and photography," said Henry Taksier, a 22-year-old journalism senior.

According to the TCAC, 56,680 students in Florida do not have a home to go to during the holiday season. In Alachua County alone, 594 students lack a stable place of residence.

Homeless youth advocates will speak at the event, and visitors will be able to make holiday posters to be sent to St. Francis House and the Interfaith Hospitality Network of Greater Gainesville.

For more information on the event and the TCAC, visit tcacedu.com.