The start of early voting for Gainesville City Commission and the Republican Presidential Preference Primary elections, heralded by speeches and music, saw about 750 people vote this weekend.

On Saturday, the first day of early voting, 362 people voted, said Pam Carpenter, county supervisor of elections. On Sunday, 395 people voted.

Early voting continues until Saturday. Election Day is Jan. 31.

Carpenter said early voting this year was slightly different from previous years. This year, she said, early voting started on a weekend and lasted six hours on Saturday. Previously, early voting started on a weekday and lasted eight hours.

Will Boyett, county chief deputy supervisor of elections, said the change makes comparing this year's early voting attendance to previous years difficult because it's like comparing apples and oranges.

To take advantage of early voting, people can go to the Supervisor of Elections County Administration Building, the Millhopper Branch Library or the Tower Road Branch Library.

"Early voting gives voters more flexibility in casting their ballots," Carpenter said.