NEWS  |  SFC

Alachua County Sheriff's Office searching for kidnapper; Santa Fe College victim is safe

The Alachua County Sheriff's Office is searching for a man who kidnapped a Santa Fe College student Thursday evening.

The kidnapper held a handgun against an 18-year-old woman, whose name has not been released, and forced her into his pickup truck in the Santa Fe College parking lot. The woman later jumped out of the truck when it was stopped on Northwest 39th Avenue and ran toward a neighborhood, Sheriff's Office Spokesman Art Forgey said.

A resident from the 1200 block of 39th Avenue called 911 around 7:50 p.m. reporting that a woman was screaming for help. The victim last saw the suspect driving west. He remains at large.

The search began when the woman's parents called the Santa Fe College Police Department around 6:30 p.m., Forgey said. Their daughter was usually home in time for dinner.

The parents told SFPD where their daughter normally parks, and they found evidence of a struggle near her car.

The suspect's pickup truck is small and a dark color, Forgey said. It has dark-tinted windows and a gray interior. The Sheriff's Office hopes to interview the victim Friday to get further information.

Anyone with knowledge of the kidnapping should call the Sheriff's Office at 352-955-1818. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can call Crime Stoppers at 352-372-7867.

This is a developing story. Check back later for more information.