In Florida’s last meeting with Alabama, the bleeding had seemingly stopped.

Mired in a three-game Southeastern Conference losing streak in February last year, the Gators led the Crimson Tide 34-24 at halftime in Tuscaloosa.

But Florida’s lead did not last as Alabama made its move in the second half, outscoring UF 29-9  in the first 12 minutes en route to a 64-59 victory.

With the win, the Crimson Tide’s SEC record improved to 2-10, and they dragged the Gators down with them.

The loss put Florida at 4-9 in the SEC, guaranteeing a second straight season with a losing record in league play for the Gators.

“In prior years, Alabama always steals a win from us,” senior center Azania Stewart said. “I’m definitely getting the girls focused and ready for that game.”

Florida (12-6, 2-3 SEC) and Alabama (10-9, 0-5) are again on the wrong side of .500 in the conference heading into tonight’s game at 7 p.m. in the O’Connell Center.

Unfortunately for the Gators and the Tide, their first matchup of the year marks the fifth straight time they have played while both sport losing league records.

While a win could vault Florida right back into the race for the conference crown, Alabama has a much bumpier road to recovery, win or lose. But that doesn’t mean coach Amanda Butler and the Gators are looking past tonight’s game.

“Their SEC record at this point is no indication of what they’re capable of,” Butler said. “They have shown us the past three years that we’ve got to play our best against them or else we’ll be disappointed.”

Last year’s loss to ‘Bama was one of five defeats in which Florida blew a double-digit lead after halftime.

UF showed some troubling signs of deja vu against LSU last Sunday, coming within one possession of surrendering a 15-point advantage late in the second half of a 62-58 win.

“It’s really hard to be up by any number of points on any of the teams in this league, especially a great team like LSU, and feel comfortable with a 15-point lead,” Butler said.

“We were able to hold onto it and that’s what we really felt good about.”

The Gators have had each of their five SEC games decided by six points or fewer.

One of the conference losses came at home on New Year’s Day against No. 6 Kentucky, Florida’s opponent on Sunday.

The Gators need a quality win on the road against the Wildcats in order to beef up their NCAA Tournament resume.

Senior guard Deana Allen admitted that earning a spot in the “Big Dance” has created a sense of urgency for Florida with the regular season hitting the home stretch.

In particular, Allen emphasized that this season represents the final chance for the Gators’ five seniors to compete for a national championship.

But Butler notes the importance of taking a more conservative approach, focusing on the task at hand and competing in the SEC — “the things that matter most.”

“I’d be lying if I said we don’t think about [the NCAA Tournament],” Butler said. “If we beat Alabama or lose to Alabama, how it affects our NCAA record doesn’t impact us right now.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.