Good warm-weather weekend spots in Gainesville

With all this warm weather we've been experiencing, it seems like the perfect time to start planning for weekends filled with lots of sun and fun outdoors.

As college students, money is usually the deciding factor when it comes to — well, anything — but it's especially relevant for traveling and vacations.

So instead of heading out of town for some fun in the sun, I've found some places in Gainesville that just might make up for the lack of an ocean nearby.

Lake Wauburg

If you haven't visited Lake Wauburg yet, now is the time! With its canoe, kayak and boat rentals and barbecue areas, it's the perfect place to spend the day with friends and family. (You can bring up to six people, including yourself, as long as you have your Gator 1 Card). If you're feeling extra adventurous, head to the South Shore for some wall climbing.

Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park

If you're an animal lover, make your next adventure a trip to Paynes Prairie! Here you can hike, bike or ride horses while checking out the local wildlife. If you want to experience the wildlife at night, the park hosts stargazing nights.

Ginnie Springs

Although there aren't any beaches nearby, there is Ginnie Springs. At the springs, you can float along the Santa Fe River on inner tubes, rent canoes and kayaks or practice your snorkeling and scuba diving skills. If you're interested in spending more time outdoors, Ginnie Springs has rentable camping grounds — perfect for a weekend trip with a few friends looking when you're to unwind from studying!

Although Gainesville isn't known as a vacation spot, there are still great things to do in or around the area — you just have to look. Here's to warm weekends outdoors!

Posts in The Traveling Gator appear on Mondays.