Grooveshark University accepting applications

Gainesville-based music streaming business Grooveshark is taking applications for its free, semester-long workshop, Grooveshark University. Applications are due Thursday.

This will be the program's fourth semester teaching students in-depth software and computer development.

Unlike previous semesters, Grooveshark University is now offering two tracks for students. One will work with mobile development for Android phones, and the other will take ideas and programming skills and apply them to the real-world technological industry.

Paulo Dasilva, senior software engineer at Grooveshark, said the number of applicants for the program has been growing each semester, leading to increasingly overcrowded classes. As a result, they will cut back the number of students accepted from about 60 to between 32 and 40.

"That way, we can talk to people one-on-one to look at what they're trying to do, see what problems they're having," Dasilva said. "It makes it a lot more personal."

Dasilva will teach the real world development track. Dave Small, a UF computer science professor, will teach the Android development track.

Applicants are not required to be computer science majors but are expected to have experience with programming. If you know one programming language or have made a program, you probably have enough experience, Dasilva said.

Applicants will be notified Friday night of Grooveshark University's decision.

"Just because you're in college doesn't mean you can't accomplish or make a big company or launch a cool product," Dasilva said. "All you need is just a little push."