Monday, April 29, 2024

High-speed police chase ends in wreck at Southwest 13th Street and Southwest Fifth Avenue

<p>A man involved in the three-car accident at Southwest 13th Street and Southwest Fifth Avenue is tended to by emergency workers.</p>

A man involved in the three-car accident at Southwest 13th Street and Southwest Fifth Avenue is tended to by emergency workers.

A high-speed police chase ended in a wreck at the intersection of Southwest 13th Street and Southwest Fifth Avenue shortly after midnight on Tuesday.

Gainesville Police were pursuing a home invasion suspect who was driving the robbery victim's Cadillac DeVille, said GPD Sgt. Barry Kays.

The suspect was driving south on Southwest 13th Street when the Cadillac hit two cars at the Southwest Fifth Avenue stoplight, rear-ending a blue Buick Century and clipping the right rear bumper of a black BMW 3 Series, Kays said.

Both the suspect and the driver of the Buick were taken to Shands at UF with non-life-threatening injuries, Kays said. The driver and the passengers in the BMW were not injured.

Anthony Morris, 29, was driving south on Southwest 13th Street when the Cadillac "flew by."

Morris said he swerved to avoid an accident and narrowly missed a light pole.

"I thought it was over," he said.

Police blocked traffic on Southwest 13th Street from Southwest Second Avenue to Southwest Eighth Avenue.

Kays said the suspect will be charged with aggravated fleeing and eluding, a felony.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Emergency workers roll a stretcher toward one of the two men injured in Tuesday morning's crash. Both men were taken to Shands at UF with non-life-threatening injuries.

A UPD officer observes the scene of the collision that ended the high-speed chase. Two men were taken to Shands at UF with non-life-threatening injuries.

The Cadillac driven by the home invasion suspect sits in the intersection of Southwest 13th Street and Southwest Fifth Avenue. The chase ended when the Cadillac collided with two other cars.

Police line Southwest 13th Street after the high-speed chase ended in a collision. They stopped traffic from Southwest Second Avenue to Southwest Eighth Avenue shortly after midnight Tuesday.