Although Florida is the central focus this week for political news and events, we cannot go without addressing the events that occurred this weekend.

Early Sunday morning, a brush fire in Paynes Prairie State Park created poor visibility along Interstate 75. Unfortunately, this led to a horrible accident involving about 20 vehicles, leaving 10 people dead.

In what Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Patrick Riordan called one of the worst accidents he has seen in 27 years with the FHP, six more people were taken to the Shands at UF Level 1 Trauma Center and 12 were taken to the emergency room.

Fortunately, Shands was able to take care of these people due to its disaster alert system, which is used to staff the hospital with extra nurses, doctors, surgeons and anesthesiologists, according to today's article.

We want to give our support to Shands as well as all of the rescue workers from FHP, the Alachua County Sheriff's Office and Marion County Fire Rescue for putting their lives on the line to help those involved in the crash.

These workers were literally dodging cargo and exploding tires as they worked to get people out of the area.

If you must travel any time in the next few days, we advise you to take extreme caution.

These conditions could still be present later in the week.

Check traffic reports, especially before you go near U.S. 441 or I-75.

Keep your radio tuned in to stations that regularly play traffic updates.

Do not closely follow vehicles and slow down if you have any decrease in visibility.

Keep your lights on at night and any time visibility lessens.

If you have passed an area with poor conditions, please be courteous to other drivers, perhaps by flashing your lights as a warning.

If things become really unsafe, try to make your way off the road or find a safer route.

If you feel unsafe trying to go near that area, try to map out your drive early by visiting an online map site and finding alternative routes and possible detours.

Finally, our thoughts go out to all of those affected by these accidents.

Though there were about 20 vehicles directly involved, there will be hundreds of people touched by this weekend's events.

If you know someone who has been affected by these accidents, we advise you to do all you can to provide comfort and solace to those in need.

We hope to know more throughout the week, so please stay tuned for coverage of more information.