Man charged with hitting infant

A Gainesville man was arrested and charged with aggravated child abuse after he hit his girlfriend's baby Thursday night, according to Gainesville Police.

Sheron C. Jones, 35, of 5029 NE 24th Ave. unit 247, hit the 3-month-old, 13-pound baby because she wouldn't stop crying, according to a Gainesville Police Department report. The back-right part of the baby's head is fractured, and doctors found a bruise and bleeding in her brain.

According to the report, Jones told police he was taking care of his girlfriend's baby while she worked. He was so frustrated with the baby's crying that he hit her twice in the back of her head with his left hand. The baby continued to cry but eventually fell asleep.

The next morning, Jones said the right side of the baby's face and her right eye were both swollen, and the baby's mother took her to the Pediatric ER at Shands at UF. Jones was arrested at 9:18 p.m. Friday after a Florida Department of Children and Families investigator alerted police.

Jones originally told police he accidentally kicked the baby while running through his house with the lights off. He then said he tossed the baby on a mattress, and she bounced off before falling face-first on the ground, according to police.

Finally, Jones changed his story a third time, saying he slapped the baby in the back of the head.

Jones was held at Alachua County Jail on a $75,000 bond Sunday night.

On Nov. 21, he was also charged with burglary and grand-theft larceny.