A new airline will bring about 60 jobs to the city when it sets up shop.

Silver Airways Corp. announced Friday it plans to move its maintenance department to Gainesville Regional Airport, a move that will primarily create maintenance jobs, said Darrell Richardson, CEO of Silver Airways.

"As many local people as we can hire, that's our objective," Richardson said.

A new, state-of-the-art maintenance hangar was a huge pull for the airline, Richardson said.

The company, based in Ft. Lauderdale, will house its two new Saab 340Bplus aircrafts in the maintenance hangar.

Richardson did not give a time frame for the move, because, he said, the company is still finalizing the specifics of the plan.

Local maintenance workers will be hired to support the new airline, he said.

About 30 percent of the Ft. Lauderdale workforce won't come to Gainesville, said Ian Fletcher, board chair for the Gainesville-Alachua County Regional Airport Authority.

"This new airline will be a great resource for the local community and students," said Mayor Craig Lowe.

In the past two years, the Gainesville Regional Airport has gone from having two airlines to four airlines, he said.

"Not only will there be additional airline service, but a brand new maintenance hangar will bring jobs," Lowe said.