<p>Student Senators Matt Mountjoy and Katie Waldman present revisions to UF's Student Government elections codes. Mountjoy and Waldman co-chaired a committee that formed to examine and modify the rules.</p>

Student Senators Matt Mountjoy and Katie Waldman present revisions to UF's Student Government elections codes. Mountjoy and Waldman co-chaired a committee that formed to examine and modify the rules.

UF Student Senate gave its preliminary approval to Student Government election code revisions at Tuesday night's meeting.

A majority of the senators voted to approve the changes, although several senators said the new rules need to be revised.

"I do have issues with it," said Unite Party spokeswoman Sen. Christina Bonarrigo. "But I do believe these need to be passed in a timely matter."

The election codes need to be passed six weeks before the spring elections for the changes to apply. Elections are scheduled for Feb. 21 and Feb. 22.

Some students who voted in the fall elections were listed with the wrong location-based district. Students whose home addresses rather than their school addresses were registered with the university were placed in the district for commuter students.

Under the changes proposed by the election codes revision committee, the supervisor of elections would no longer be required to provide a map listing at each polling location. Currently, he or she is required to make a sample ballot and a map available upon request at polling locations and the SG office.

The supervisor of elections would also no longer be required to post a list of polling locations inside residence halls. The changes would require he or she post the poll locations through three unspecified forms of notification.

Students Party Sen. Carly Wilson, who is not a member of the committee, objected to the revision that would allow the Supervisor of Elections to add or change a polling location as long as it is "properly noticed."

"It's an improper delegation of power," she said.

To avoid a repeat of last semester's address confusion, committee co-chair Katie Waldman said she contacted Dean of Students Jen Day Shaw. The dean's office was already working on a way to update students' directory profiles, she said.

Waldman said after the meeting that the office was updating students' addresses for emergency purposes. The office discussed having students update their school contact information once a year, and the committee's idea was similar, Waldman said.

Waldman is waiting to hear back from the dean's office for a final agreement.

Senators will make their final votes on the election code revisions at Tuesday's meeting. Any amendments to the bill must be submitted to the committee Friday and will be discussed at the committee meeting Sunday.

Wilson said she plans to attend the meeting and wants to make sure that the amendments represent all UF's students.

"I was not happy with how the codes ended up," Wilson said.