<p>Sophomore center Patric Young (4), shown here with guard Scottie Wilbekin (5) and forward Casey Prather (24), has been dealing with tendinitis in his right ankle.</p>

Sophomore center Patric Young (4), shown here with guard Scottie Wilbekin (5) and forward Casey Prather (24), has been dealing with tendinitis in his right ankle.

After limping through Florida’s first three conference games, Patric Young is finally getting some much needed rest.

The No. 17 Gators are currently on their lone bye week in Southeastern Conference play, which couldn’t have come at a better time for Young.

The right ankle of Young, Florida’s starting center and leading rebounder, has developed tendinitis over the last two weeks.

“Right now he’s got a lot of inflammation around that area,” coach Billy Donovan said.

“Trying to give it some time to calm down. The doctors have worked on it, the trainers have been working on it but there’s no structural damage. There’s no ligament damage.”

Last Saturday, Young had to come off the bench for the first time this season, scoring four points in 13 minutes — both season lows — during Florida’s 79-65 win at South Carolina. 

“Just watching him move around the day of the game, we need guys out there that are able to give a better effort,” Donovan said. “It’s not that he doesn’t want to give a better effort, I think he was physically ailing that he couldn’t give the effort he wanted, so that’s what the decision was based on.”

The Gators won’t be in action again until Saturday, when they host LSU at 6 p.m.

While Donovan said Young will definitely see playing time this weekend, the only way the sophomore can start is if he is able to participate in practice.

So far this week, Young has yet to make it through one.

Young’s replacement, sophomore forward Will Yeguete, found out during Florida’s shootaround the day of the South Carolina game that he would be getting the start.

After replacing an injured Erik Murphy earlier in the season, Yeguete slid into a starter’s role for the sixth time and posted a career-high 14 points with eight boards in 30 minutes on the court — the most he’s seen in a Gators uniform.

“I appreciate Will a lot, because the stuff that he does for our team is just unbelievable,” said junior guard Mike Rosario. “Like chasing down loose balls, getting eight or nine rebounds when Pat is out; it’s unbelievable how that guy stepped up the last couple games for us.”

Even if Yeguete is able to recreate his career night, Florida’s depreciated frontcourt will need more of an impact from Young against LSU, the SEC leader in offensive rebounding.

Last weekend, South Carolina was able to outrebound Florida 30-25 with a 14-7 advantage on the offensive boards, leading to 16 second-chance points.

“[Young] did a little workout yesterday,” said junior forward Erik Murphy. “I saw him sweating; I don’t know if it was from lifting or — I mean he sweats a lot — but he’s getting better every day I think.

“He looks like he’s not laboring on it as much.”

Contact John Boothe at jboothe@alligator.org.