Eligible UF faculty members will receive a 3 percent raise beginning with their first paychecks in March, but not without conditions.

In exchange for the raise, faculty members will sacrifice some of their leave benefits.

Upon leaving UF, the maximum payout for unused vacation leave is now 200 hours. Maximum vacation leave accrual for faculty at year's end was reduced from 480 hours to 352 hours.

Payment for unused sick leave will be eliminated, except for eligible faculty who retire on or before June 30, 2016.

Paula Fussell, vice president of Human Resource Services, said faculty members are generally happy with the raise, which was initially proposed in June. It balances a state law passed last year requiring state employees to contribute to their own retirement funds.

"It depends on which faculty you talk to, but overall I think the faculty receiving the 3 percent payment are pleased and understand the trade-off for the leave changes," Fussell said.

United Faculty of Florida has not yet agreed to the proposal, excluding faculty union members from the raise.

UFF members are also not affected by the vacation and sick-leave changes, which become effective for non-UFF faculty members on Feb. 17.