Hating doesn't take away from successes of Greek system

When Unite Party males get all up in my business while I'm trying to walk to class, I typically turn to them and say, "Sorry, I don't care what you have to say unless you want to have sex with me." As they stare on — dumbstruck and with mouths hanging agape — I say, "Now you know how it feels." I feel smug and self-satisfied with my cleverness for at least an hour afterward.

Once I'm done feeling smug, two questions always occur to me: Why do members of Greek life rule Student Government and lots of organizations bearing an official UF seal? And why do they dress and act alike?

This is my theory:

First, stereotypes can sometimes favor a group and even going as far as to make certain groups seem more desirable. Example: The stereotype about the legendary black male ... well, you know. The fraternity brothers dress and act like older businessmen, sharing in the preexisting stereotype that these older gentlemen are great in bed. And what about the sorority sisters, you ask? Whenever I see them around frat guys, their voices shoot up an octave, which seems to be a turn on.

Second, Greeks fit the "modest yet eager to succeed" image that UF projects in order to attract employers and parents while also opening donor checkbooks.

But how does fitting this image lead to positions? That's a little less straightforward.

Whenever the university creates organizations like any of the ambassadors groups, it handpicks marketable students for these positions. The university parades them around in front of employers, parents and wealthy potential donors - further reinforcing the image and giving members networking opportunities. And these kids get hired.

Greeks seem to understand the benefits of joining this system, as do I. Notice how their dress code is the same as the attire of students in most UF promotional pamphlets? The fraternities and sororities offer a constant stream of smiling, uncontroversial students for the university to have at its disposal. The university then lets them head Student Government, which determines the groups that will receive funding.

If UF didn't benefit from all this, it would do things like place limits on SG campaign spending. But just like any other bureaucracy, UF acts in the interest of its own survival. It will work for students if they get involved in the university's mission. It will work against them if they do not.

Skeptical?

Well riddle me this: Why is our student newspaper unaffiliated with the university? Why does UPD need only, say, someone "interfered with the work of the university" to legally remove him or her from a free speech zone? Why do student groups need mission statements reviewed by SG before they can receive any funding?

Though our English department consists of many Marxists, UF embraces those who have money.

And why shouldn't it? Sure, the system might be somewhat conformist, a tad inauthentic and exclusionary to the poor. But how is that any different from the real world? It's easy to hate on, but what, if any, evil has the system executed? In fact, it does a lot of good, benefiting children and charities.

Our world is riddled with inequalities. UF is no different. Greeks have developed a system that promotes their future success and financial security. And it's not like they do evil things, nor do they support causes they don't truly believe in. And honestly, what have the haters done?

Chip Skambis is an English and telecommunication junior at UF. His column regularly appears on Mondays.