Roadwork for a through street near UF will affect the daily commute of about 100 residents and thousands of drivers once construction starts this summer.

The plan to resurface the road along Northwest 22nd Street and Northwest Fifth Avenue will go before the Gainesville City Commission on March 1.

The initial plan for the construction project was submitted last week.

The project will involve replacing the curbs and gutters, resurfacing the asphalt and widening the sidewalks.

Stefan Broadus, the project's manager and an engineer for the City of Gainesville Public Works Department, said his goal is to finish the project before the home football game against Louisiana State University on Oct. 6. If the contracted construction company doesn't finish the project before football season, it won't be allowed to work during home game weekends.

Although the final cost of the project won't be settled until a construction contractor is chosen through a competitive bidding process, the budget is about $1 million, he said.

The project will span Northwest 22nd Street between University Avenue and Northwest Eighth Avenue and Northwest Fifth Avenue between Northwest 22nd Street and Northwest 20th Street, according to the city manager's biweekly report.

With so many potholes in the asphault, there is rarely a smooth patch of road for more than 5 feet, said Monica Petrella, a 20-year-old UF food and resource economics sophomore.

The construction is scheduled to start in the summer because "the traffic drops significantly once the semester ends," Broadus said.