We have received very impressive platforms from both Student Government parties during the past week, and there are a lot of things on each platform we believe would be a positive improvement for UF and its students.

Surprisingly, there are even issues on which both parties agree. Each party sees the need for more transparency in SG and has strong plans for increasing that transparency.

And each party advocates a much-needed switch away from the outdated Webmail service to a user-friendly Gmail system.

The Unite Party has a strong ticket with candidates who have the power to get things done. But occasionally the people in charge become so accustomed to their positions of influence that they forget the reason they were elected in the first place.

Right now, we need the Students Party to take the reins and get things back in order. The Students Party and its candidates this semester bring the proposition of an SG with a new face and a new attitude.

While the platforms of both parties include many policy goals that will bring constructive changes to UF as a whole, only the Students Party realizes that SG must ensure that it works internally before it can do any work for the students of UF.

The Students Party emphasizes an end to the image of nepotism, corruption and favoritism surrounding SG and a transition to the accountability, transparency and fiscal responsibility that is desperately needed for any governing body.

The Students Party ticket has indicated a strong dedication to the following ideas: (1) ensuring that people put in positions of power are chosen for their merit, (2) cutting back on redundancy and waste and (3) guaranteeing that the students have a voice in the affairs of the university, one of the most important functions of any student government.

We not only endorse the Students Party executive ticket but also endorse the idea of a stronger minority in the Senate. No student government should ever be ruled by a single party.

We also encourage you to look at the Student Senate candidates running to represent you and consider that SG can only benefit from having strong voices on both sides. This not only ensures a great deal of checks and balances but also presents the opportunity for more collaboration on projects that both parties see as important.

The Students Party may have ideas that seem small compared to the lofty goals of the Unite Party, but focusing on small, doable projects can add up to a lot of positive changes in the end.

SG does matter at UF, and it has the potential to do a lot of things for the good of the university. Let's make sure SG knows it's the students who hold the power to change things and vote for the Students Party.